Put A Lid On It
with Jenn Wells
Date: Friday, Saturday and Sunday, June 26, 27 & 28
Time: 9:00 pm to 5:00 pm each day
Cost: $445 for BoMA members
$495 for non-members
Materials fee: $XX payable in class
Location: BoMA Studio
4919 Broadway St, Unit 14
Boulder, CO 80304
Everyone needs someplace to hide those tiny, special objects. In this course we will cover small lidded container fabrication. A variety of fabrication forms will be demonstrated with multiple lid options. Demonstrations will include: hinges, friction fit, box clasp and solder set ups. We will experiment with surface treatments and textures. Participants are encouraged to bring with them at least one special object to design their container for. We all have at least one, now you’ll have someplace to put it.
Basic understanding of metalsmithing is required; students should have previous experience with soldering, sawing, and filing.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Jennifer Wells is a studio artist and educator, originally from the US but currently living and working in Italy. She has completed several artist-in-residencies at: Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN, Pocosin Arts in Columbia, NC and the Jentel Foundation near Banner, WY; and has taught for Universities throughout the US and for study abroad programs based in Italy. She currently serves on the Board of Vita Institute and teaches for Santa Reparata International School of Arts in Florence, Italy. Jennifer also teaches short workshops on various enameling and metalsmithing techniques throughout Europe and the US. Her work is in the collection of the Enamel Arts Foundation and the Racing Museum.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Students Should Bring
- 1-3x3" sheet of 22 gauge sterling silver
- 1-3x3" sheet of 24 gauge sterling silver
- 1-5 ft 16 gauge sterling silver wire
- 1-5 ft wire of 18 gauge sterling silver
- 1-5 ft wire of 20 gauge sterling silver
- Unmounted Mini Fiber Wheel, Extra-Fine $4.85
- Unmounted Mini Fiber Wheel, Coarse $4.85
- Cross-Cut Burs, Set of 12 $14.50
- EVE Silicone Black Flat-Edge Wheel Polisher, Medium
- High-Speed Steel Cross-Cut Cylinder Bur, 8mm
- Saw blades
- Twist drills to match blades and wire gauge
- Rotating soldering pad: https://www.riogrande.com/product/rotating-soldering-table-with-silquar-high-heat-block-insert/502007
Pliers (round, needle and flat nose)
- Wire solder (easy, medium, hard)
MATERIALS KIT: None
Students are responsible for bringing all materials for this class. Instructor is traveling internationally
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS
10. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 14 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 14 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
REGISTRATION OPEN SOON