Not Your Mother's Spinner Ring with Alex Boyd
Saturday & Sunday, March 7 & 8, 2020 from 9 am to 5 pm
$245 for BoMA members, $295 for non-members
plus materials kit
In this two-day class, students will learn how to incorporate ball bearings into a ring with a spinning bezel set cabochon in silver and gold. We'll cover the fabrication of a ring and bezel and show how to connect the two to insure maximum movement without compromising security. We’ll also cover tips to insure maximum contrast between gold and silver when soldering including how to achieve a dark, even patina on silver.
See below for more details and our cancellation policy.
Member price $245, Non-member $295. Difference collected in class. Materials fee of $50 payable to instructor.
Intermediate or advanced metalsmithing skills are required for this class.
About the Instructor
When Alex Boyd was a young boy he stole an enchanted ring from a powerful bruja. That night his slumber was disturbed by a tapping at his window. When he slid the window open a huge raven rushed in, flew around the room and perched on his bookshelf. "I know what you have taken from me," the raven cawed. "I don't know what you're talking about," Alex lied, hiding his bejeweled finger behind his back. "No matter. It is your problem now. The wearer of that ring is indentured to create more talismans of power, either for 1000 years or until he makes something so sublime, so perfect, so beautiful that the spell is broken and he is freed."
"1000 years it is," Alex said as he thrust the raven out the window and slammed it shut behind her. He has been making jewelry ever since.
Students need to bring
- Chain nose pliers
- Parallel jaw pliers
- Half round pliers
- Flush cutters
- Hand files
- Needle files
- Sanding sticks coarse medium and fine
- Sawframe with 2/0 blade
- Drill bit approx 1mm
- Prips flux in hypodermic bottle
- Sticky wax*
- Permanent marker
- Bezel roller
- Bezel pusher
- 3M bristle disc yellow
- All your favorite tools you can carry comfortably to class
- $50 cash or a check made out to Alex for the materials kit *
Materials Kit $50 (Supplied by Instructor)*
- Ball bearing 4x9x4mm
- Cabochon (the larger the better the spin)
- 20g sterling sheet large enough to fit bezel twice
- 12g sterling sheet for ring shank
- 4mm heavy wall tube sterling
- Bezel strip to set stone (gold or silver)
- 20g x 5 x40mm fine silver strip for bearing bezel
- Hard, medium and easy silver solder
- Hard 18k gold solder (if using gold)
- Titanium wire for soldering brace
- Gold will be available to purchase separately by weight
Maximum Number of Students: 12. Students must be 18 or over. Students will be required to sign a waiver
- You may cancel up to 14 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 14 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.