Alternative Settings with Chapin Dimond
Saturday and Sunday, March 14 & 15, 2020. 9 am to 5 pm both days.
$245 members, $295 non-members. Difference collected in class.
In this two day class we'll practice how to set odd shaped stones with non traditional methods. Kinds of setting covered in class:
- nontraditional wire prong
- organic bezel 1 face/ organic bezel 2 face
- bezel with tabs
- rivet/ tube rivet
- bead ends/solder in place with torch
See below for more information and our cancellation policy
Chapin Dimond is a full-time metalsmith and jeweler. He has a BFA from Metropolitan State University of Denver. Chapin is a Colorado native. In 2003 he began metalsmithing. Nature and the beauty of metals inspire his work. Chapin teaches several classes at BoMA: Alternative Casting, Sink a Bowl, Introduction to Green Sand Casting, Intro to Lost Wax Casting, Flush Setting a Cuff, Alternative Setting, Scrap to Ring, Spiculum pendent, and level 1. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com.
Prerequisites for students: Basic metalsmithing skills (filing, sawing, soldering) are required for this class.
Students should know how to use a torch to solder and use a jeweler’s saw
Tools students need to bring
- all the tools you can comfortably carry (saw and saw blades, solder pick, separating discs, sanding discs, fine point sharpie, files, ect...)
- safety glasses
- ½ round file
- loop or 10x optivisor
- parallel pliers
- needle nose pliers
- flat nose pliers
- cash or a check for the materials kit
Clothing: closed toed shoes and avoid wearing polyester, it can be flammable.
Materials kit (Tools/equipment and materials/consumables instructor will supply for a fee): $TBD
- bezel pusher
- chisel for hand hammer
- bezel rocker
- prong pliers
- jet set
- kool jool
- practice stones
- silver- sheet, wire, tube
- diamond drill bits
Maximum Number of Students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 14 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 14 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.