Alternative Settings with Chapin Dimond
Saturday and Sunday, March 14 & 15, 2020. 9 am to 5 pm both days.
$245 members, $295 non-members. Difference collected in class.
In this two day class we'll practice how to set odd shaped stones with non traditional methods.
See below for more information and our cancellation policy
Setting covered in class
- nontraditional wire prong
- organic bezel 1 face/ organic bezel 2 face
- bezel with tabs
- rivet/ tube rivet
- bead in place with torch
About the instructor
Chapin Dimond is a full-time metalsmith and jeweler. He has a BFA from Metropolitan State University of Denver. Chapin is a Colorado native. In 2003 he began metalsmithing. Nature and the beauty of metals inspire his work. Chapin teaches several classes at BoMA: Alternative Casting, Sink a Bowl, Introduction to Green Sand Casting, Intro to Lost Wax Casting, Flush Setting a Cuff, Alternative Setting, Scrap to Ring, and Forged Bracelet and Spiculum. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com.
This is a fast paced class. Basic metalsmithing skills (filing, sawing, soldering) are required for this class. Students should know how to use a torch to solder and use a jeweler’s saw. Very helpful to know how to solder with a micro torch (also called a Smith Little Torch).
Tools students need to bring
- safety glasses
- round-flat pliers
- 1/2 round - flat pliers
- chain nose/ needle nose pliers (I like these from Rio 111927)
- parallel pliers (optional)
- wire cutters (I like flush cutters)
- saw frame (BoMA has some if you don't)
- saw blades 2/0 blade 1pk
- course (I like #00 flat)
- medium (I like #2 flat)
- fine (I like #4 flat-1/2 round)
- needle file variety
- sanding sticks variety of grits
- fine tweezers AA (I like Rio 115018 and 119337 both are nice)
- solder pick
- soldering tweezers (I like not locking)
- third hand holder with bent locking tweezers
- X-Acto blade with handle (I like blades #7)
- bezel roller/rocker (like Rio113079)
- bezel pusher (like Rio 113034)
- steel burnisher
- Sharpie fine and fat black
- loop 10x or optivisor
- any and all extra tools you can comfortably carry (other tools that you like, ect...)
Materials students should bring
- hard (I like 20ga wire solder 12inch Rio 101704)
- medium (I like 20ga wire solder 6inch Rio 101703)
- easy (optional)
- sterling silver 24ga sheet 10mm x 80mm
- terling silver 20ga or 18ga sheet 35mm x 140mm (about 1.5inch x 6inch
- no all will be used)
- sterling silver round wire (24ga) 0.5mm x 4 inch (pins)
- sterling silver round wire (20ga) 0.8mm x 3 inch (ear wires)
- sterling silver round wire (16ga) 1.3mm x 12 inches
- organic shape stone at least 2 (smaller than a quarter and no taller than 7mm)
- glass pieces at least 2 (sea class or glass that is not sharp) smaller than a quarter
- coin no bigger than a half dollar coin
Materials kit: $90 (Tools/equipment and materials/consumables instructor will supply for a fee)
- chisels for hand hammer setting
- thermo lock
- flex-shaft tools
- diamond drill bits
- stone beads
- other necessary tools and materials
Maximum Number of Students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
Clothing: closed toed shoes and avoid wearing polyester, it can be flammable.
- You may cancel up to 14 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 14 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.