Electrolytic Etching with Beth Merckel for March
Sunday, March 20 from 9am to 5pm.
$145 for BoMA members, $195 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
In order to provide the safest possible environment for our students, we require proof of COVID19 vaccination. When you register for a class you also need to send proof of vaccination by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't want to email your documentation, you'll need to bring it to class. Acceptable forms of proof of vaccination can be found here. No one will be admitted for a class if they arrive without proof of vaccination and didn't already email it to us. There are no exceptions.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
If you have experience etching with ferric chloride and are tired of waiting for hours for your etching to appear, electrolytic etching is oh-so-much-better. The process is less toxic, more precise and seriously faster - one hour or less.
Tools and Equipment
What you’ll want to bring:.
- 5-6 pieces copper, nickel silver or brass sheet no larger than 2" x 2" for etching
- One or more black and white (no grey at all) pattern or image no larger than 2" x 2" for etching
- Green Scotchbright pads (2)
- Sterling silver for etching (optional)
- Burnisher or spoon
Materials kit* $20 (cash or check)
- Duct tape
- Copper sulfate solution
- Cupric Nitrate solution
- Ferric Nitrate solution
- Toner Transfer paper (TTP)
About the Instructor
Beth Merckel studied metalsmithing at Revere Academy, Mendocino Art Center and Clear Creek Academy. She’s obsessed with texture on metal and her favorite tool is her rolling mill. Beth is the founder and Executive Director of Boulder Metalsmithing Association.
Maximum 8 students. Students must be 18 or older and sign a waiver to participate in the class.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter. Colorado does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. BoMA follows Boulder County government’s lead with regard to closures. If they are closed, we are closed. Their snow closure phone # is 303.441.3800 and the message is typically updated by 5:45 am. You may also visit www.bouldercounty.org for closure information.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full and you'd like to be placed on the waitlist, just email us.