I Like Big Bezels and I Cannot Lie with Alex Boyd for April
Saturday, April 2 from 9 am to 5 pm.
$145 for BoMA members, $195 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
In order to provide the safest possible environment for our students, we require proof of COVID19 vaccination. When you register for a class you also need to send proof of vaccination by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't want to email your documentation, you'll need to bring it to class. Acceptable forms of proof of vaccination can be found here. No one will be admitted for a class if they arrive without proof of vaccination and didn't already email it to us. There are no exceptions.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Intermediate or advanced metalsmithing skills are required for this class.
About the Instructor
When Alex Boyd was a young boy he stole an enchanted ring from a powerful bruja. That night his slumber was disturbed by a tapping at his window. When he slid the window open a huge raven rushed in, flew around the room and perched on his bookshelf. "I know what you have taken from me," the raven cawed. "I don't know what your talking about," Alex lied, hiding his bejeweled finger behind his back. "No matter. It is your problem now. The wearer of that ring is indentured to create more talismans of power, either for 1000 years or until he makes something so sublime, so perfect, so beautiful that the spell is broken and he is freed." "1000 years it is," Alex said as he thrust the raven out the window and slammed it shut behind her. He has been making jewelry ever since.
Materials Students will Need to Provide (both students working in the BoMA Studio and those working in their home studio)
(with Rio Grande item # unless otherwise specified):
18 gauge sterling silver sheet 3cm x 3cm
18 gauge sterling silver strip 3mm x 28mm
18 gauge sterling silver round wire 18mm
18 gauge fine silver strip tall enough and long enough to make bezel for cabochon (if in
doubt email me at alex@alexboydstudio to work out the details)
Hard silver solder
Cabochon (no larger than 2.6cm in width or length)
Materials, Tools & Equipment Students Must Provide:
With Rio Grande item #’s unless otherwise specified. Many of these tools come in a wide variety of qualities and price points. Item numbers
are arbitrarily chosen examples. Shop around.
- 2/0 blades #110306GR
- 180, 320 and 600 grit sanding sticks (I make my own with 3M wet/dry papers) #337595
- 0 cut flat file #114924
- .9 mm drill bit #349088
- #3 Cut Round File #114713
- #2 cut needle file set #114764
- #4 or #5 cut needle file set #114766 (Notes about needle files: I can’t recommend a good set of needle files in both these cuts more highly. They are one of the keys to the quality of craftsmanship I can achieve, but they are also a substantial investment. If you aren’t ready to make that leap this project can be completed with a lesser degree of refinement with the following files: #2 square, #2 round, #2 half-round.)
- Permanent marker
- 1mm kraus bur #342020
- 3” medium grit 3m bristle disc wheel #332333 (This is my go to. If you prefer a high polish on your work go with a cotton buff and polishing compound)
- Dividers #116010
- Saw frame #110041
- Half-round pliers #111068
- Chain-nose pliers #111911
- Flat/round-nose pliers #111190
- Parallel jaw pliers #111321
- Flat pliers #111912
- Flush cutters #111520
- Nylon mallet #119327
- Riveting hammer #112188
- Scribe #118459
- Bezel roller #113063
- Small round mandrel or center punch #112790
Maximum Number of Students: 12. Students must be 18 and over. Students will be required to sign a waiver
Materials Kit* $45+ (payable to instructor)
Kits will start at $45 and go up from there with options for nicer stones and gold accents.
*Materials kit purchase is required for all our workshops. The kit insures all students have the same tools and materials required to learn the technique and allows the instructor and the students to focus on the technique rather than the materials.
Maximum number of students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.