Assisted Casting with Chapin Dimond for April
Saturday evening from 6 pm to 9 pm and Sunday morning from 9 am to 12 noon. April 10 & 11. $95 members, $135 non-members. (For information about BoMA membership, click here.) Additional materials fee payable to instructor.
See below for more information and our cancellation policy
This class is comprised of two sessions
• First session in the evening to sprue and invest the finished wax models.
• Flasks are then burned out overnight.
• Second session is the next morning to pour metal, vacuum cast hot flasks and remove the casting from the investment.
Each student is allocated one flask for casting. The number of models each student can place in a flask varies depending on the size of the model and the size of the flask. Available flask sizes: 2”, 2-1/2”, 3” & 4”. Minimum number of flasks for a class to run is 4
Materials fee $5
Will be collected at the class:
• Investment based on size of flask at $1.25/lb
• Sprue wax based on weight used
Students Must Supply
• Their own finished wax model.
• Their own crucible if using gold (to prevent contamination)
• Casting grain sufficient to cast the model. Formula for sterling silver (in dwt) is: (weight of model x 11dwt) + 15dwt (for sprue)
• Expert casting assistance
• Use of equipment and fuel for melting metal.
• Use of flasks for investing and casting.
• Overnight burnout
• Vacuum casting
BoMA Will Supply
• A small amount of additional sterling silver casting grain will be available for purchase (at BoMA's purchase price). No other metals will be available.
What Isn't Offered
• Rubber mold making
• Wax injecting
• Commercial or multiples casting
• Organic material casting
• Base metal casting (copper, brass, bronze or any pot metal)
Other Important Information
• BoMA is not responsible for any casting failures and willl not offer repeats or do-overs.
• Students should plan additional time, outside of the schedule for this event, to finish, clean and polish their cast pieces.
• Students should plan to help clean up at the end of each session.
• One student per flask. Students may not share a flask.
Maximum Number of Students: 6. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe.
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Please Add Me to the Waitlist” with the name of the class and your name.