You Shoulda Put a Ring On It with Alex Boyd
Saturday, March 5 from 9 am to 5 pm. $145 for BoMA members, $195 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Intermediate or advanced metalsmithing skills are required for this class.
About the Instructor
When Alex Boyd was a young boy he stole an enchanted ring from a powerful bruja. That night his slumber was disturbed by a tapping at his window. When he slid the window open a huge raven rushed in, flew around the room and perched on his bookshelf. "I know what you have taken from me," the raven cawed. "I don't know what your talking about," Alex lied, hiding his bejeweled finger behind his back. "No matter. It is your problem now. The wearer of that ring is indentured to create more talismans of power, either for 1000 years or until he makes something so sublime, so perfect, so beautiful that the spell is broken and he is freed." "1000 years it is," Alex said as he thrust the raven out the window and slammed it shut behind her. He has been making jewelry ever since.
Materials Students will Need to Provide
(with Rio Grande item # unless otherwise specified):
- Round or oval cabochon no smaller than 1.5cm, no larger than 2cm (Alex will have stones for sale or students can use their own)
- 24 gauge fine silver or 22k gold bezel strip, tall enough to set stone
- Sterling silver 18g sheet 2.5cm x 5cm
- Sterling silver 14g strip 4mm x 7.5cm
- Hard silver solder
- 18k yellow hard solder (if using gold bezel)
Tools & Equipment Students Must Provide
With Rio Grande item #’s unless otherwise specified. Many of these tools come in a wide variety of qualities and price points. Shop around.
- Flush cutters #111520
- #4 needle file set #114799
- 2/0 saw blade #110306GR
- Sanding sticks #337595
- 1mm drill bit #342582
- Sticky wax #700187
- X-acto knife (buy anywhere)
- #4 flat file #114916
- Jeweler’s ruler #11602210
- Split mandrel #333130
- Sandpaper 180, 320 and 600 grit #337338 or thereabouts
- #4 crossing needle file #114754
- #2 cut flat file #114700
Maximum Number of Students: 12
Students must be 18 and over. Students will be required to sign a waiver
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the title “Please Add Me to the Waitlist” with the name of the class and your name.