Scrap to Ring with Chapin Dimond for June
Sunday, June 27 from 9 am to 5 pm. $145 for BoMA members, $195 for Non-Members Difference payable in class. (To become a member and save $50 on every class, click here.) Additional materials fee payable to instructor.
For more information and our cancellation policy, see below
Got scrap? All your clean scrap metal can become useful material again. In this one day class, students will learn how to pour ingots and roll out square wire and sheet with a rolling mill, practice sweat soldering and wire fed soldering, roll an ingot in the rolling mill and use a drawplate to make wire. With only about one ounce of clean scrap metal you’ll be able to make some rings with a cutout overlay pattern.This class should improve your knowledge of metalsmithing techniques. Get the biggest bang for your buck, make a ring from scrap!
Basic metalsmithing skills (filing, sawing, soldering) are required for this class. Students should know how to use a torch to solder, use a jeweler’s saw, and how to file.
About the Instructor
Chapin Dimond is a full-time professional metalsmith and jeweler. In 2003 he discovered the magic of metalsmithing. From Metropolitan State College of Denver, he earned a BFA in Art: Jewelry Design and Metalsmithing. Chapin is a Colorado native inspired by nature and the magic of metals. Metalsmithing is the process of telling stories through metal, releasing the inner “feeling” of what metal wants to be. Swing that hammer, light that torch, and see that magic happen. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com .
Tools students need to bring
- clean (no solder) sterling silver scrap or casting grain - minimum 1 ounce
- Silver solder
- Medium solder 20ga 12inches (Rio 101703)
- Hard solder 20ga 12inches (Rio 101704)
- safety glasses
- ½ round file
- needle files
- Sand paper
- 320 grit
- 400 grit
- 600 grit
- soldering tweezers
- soldering pick
- saw frame
- saw blades (I like #2 and #2/0)
- ring mandrel
- ½ round and flat pliers
- Drill bits 0.8mm (Rio 341571)
- Sharpie, pencil and paper
- All the tools you can comfortably carry (saw and saw blades, solder pick, even rubber wheels, sanding discs, 3m wheels, files, ect...)
- optional: parallel pliers, ring bending pliers
- Clothing: closed toed shoes and avoid wearing polyester, it can be flammable.
- cash or a check made out to Chapin Dimond for the materials kit
Materials Kit Supplied by Instructor - $25*
Materials kit (Tools/equipment and materials/consumables instructor will supply)
- Rubber wheel
- sanding sticks
- split mandrel
- other necessary tools
Maximum Number of Students
8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.