Lathe Turn and Cast a Ring from Wax with Chapin Dimond
Saturday and Sunday, from 9 am to 5 pm. $245 for BoMA members, $295 for non-members. Difference payable in class. (To become a member and save $50 on every class, click here.) Additional materials fee payable to instructor.
See below for more information and our cancellation policy
On the second day of the class, students will vacuum cast by pouring molten metal into the hardened investment in their flask. When the metal cools, the investment is broken away to reveal the cast silver ring. Students will clean their rings, learn finishing techniques and set stones in the ring they've cast.
Prerequisites for students:
Students should be comfortable using files, flex shaft, jeweler’s saw, casting torch and pouring an ingot
Tools and equipment students should bring:
- 1-2 ozt sterling silver casting grain (MINIMUM) (casting grain or clean scrap)
- Stone round cabison (10mm to 15mm)
- GRS #40 engraver with handle (Rio #118204)
- Wax file
- Two ended wax file (Rio #114136) or one like this
- Bastard file or a wood rasp
- Files for metal (I like flat #00, and #2)
- Needle files ( I like round, beret, flat/ 1⁄2 round #3)
- Jewelry saw and blades
- Sandpaper/ Sanding stick (various grits)
- Safety glasses
- Exacto style knife
- Bezel pusher and rocker
- Any flex shaft clean up tools you have
- Scraper tools (optional Rio #113164)
- Optivisor or magnifiers (optional)
- Dust mask recommended (optional Rio # 201598 or 201669 with 201650)
- Dedeco or 3M bristle discs (optional but recommended) (Rio # 326040)
- Burs any that you have (optional)
- Any wax carving tools you currently have (optional)
- Any engravers you have (optional)
- Cash or a check made out to Chapin Dimond for the materials kit
Materials kit fee/cost (cost to students): $75
Tools/equipment and materials/consumables instructor will supply for a fee:
- Wax rods
- Turning collet
- Steel carving/ tuning tools
- Other need supplies, consumables and tools for use
Maximum number of students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.