Boxes & Lockets, Hinges & Clasps with Carla M Fox
Saturday & Sunday, October 15 & 16 from 9 am to 5 pm.
$345 for BoMA members, $395 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Prerequisites for students
Intermediate Metalsmithing skills of sawing, filing, measuring, soldering, and a knowledge of metals studio safety procedures.
About the instructor
Carla M. Fox brings the ideal balance of fine craftsmanship and wild imagination to her work. She has been a professional metalsmith/jeweler for over 20 years and her work has been featured and won awards in top juried art shows across the country. Carla loves to teach her craft, because she is the consummate student herself. Curious from childhood about tools and techniques and with an acute attention to detail, and a bit of engineering, she inspires that same joy and exploration in her students. Her skill in fabrication techniques include: fabrication, soldering tricks, design, hollow-forms, etching. The use of varied materials and techniques can be seen in her work at: www.carlamfox.com
Tools and equipment students must bring:
Note: Any Rio Grande or other supplier item #’s I give are so you can see a photo of what I mean. You're not required to buy that specific item.
- Small bottle super glue - regular not gel
- Saw frame & saw blades 3/0 and 4/0, or favorite blade
- Needle files 2 cut, round, square, triangle, barrette, half round,
- Regular hand files 0 or 1 cut—half round and equaling
- Eye protection, optivisor will work
- Hardwood Ring clamp Rio number #113105
- 0.8 & 1.0 ball or twist drill bits
- Miter jig Rio number: #1112700
- Millimeter ruler
- Digital caliper
- Flat nose pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Flat Half round pliers
- 4.5” Hand clamp (Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/2p85akva)
- Fine & ultra fine black sharpie pens
- Solder: easy, med, hard
- Honeycomb soldering block Rio number: 502005
- T-pins Amazon - https://tinyurl.com/2cu23fzv
- Wite-Out (Bic) quick dry/sponge applicator or Rio’s No-Flo # 504080 (will need separate container to mix in & brush)
- Re: the sterling silver sheet: Please have the correct gauge-thickness, that I am asking for. Trying to roller mill thicker sheets down will result in wavy sheets....and will cause problems when making locket. Don’t do this. These a minimum amounts, you can have more.
- 22 gauge sterling sheet for top of locket 1 1⁄2 “ x 1 1⁄2” or more (can be etched on or textured one side—but must be flat ) = for locket
- 22 gauge sterling sheet for sides and top of box: 1 1⁄2” x 4” = for small box
- 24 g silver 1.5” x 4.5” or more again absolutely flat
- 20g sterling wire for clasp 3” - 4”
- 18 g sterling wire for clasp ball 1 1⁄2”
- Opt: Sterling wire for bails, 16-14 gauge, square or round
Materials Kit* $60 (payable to instructor)
- Sanding board
- Nail platform kits
- Sanding mandrel + coarse discs (4)
- Cut-off disc mandrel - 4 cut-off discs
- Chenier/joint File
- Twist drill that fits hinge tubing
- Graphite to fit tubing, plus tube to ship in
- Tooth picks
- Orange stick
- PDF of directions
- Shape template sheet of suggested shapes
- How to insert photo directions
- SS Tubing for hinge 2.25mm hw
- SS Tubing for clasp 2.0mm hw
- SS Wire, drawn for hinge pin 17g 1.5”
- SS 20g strip for walls 4.5x5mm
- 3/4” x 1” squares of copper 18 g
- 2 of the 20g so one can make an arch
Maximum number of students: 12. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.