Chasing and Repoussé – Form and Texture with Nancy Mēgan Corwin for January
Saturday and Sunday, January 29 & 30 from 9 am to 5 pm.
$345 for BoMA members, $395 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
In order to provide the safest possible environment for our students, we require proof of COVID19 vaccination. When you register for a class you also need to send proof of vaccination by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't want to email your documentation, you'll need to bring it to class. Acceptable forms of proof of vaccination can be found here. No one will be admitted for a class if they arrive without proof of vaccination and didn't already email it to us. There are no exceptions.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Basic metalsmithing is helpful. The class is open to those with prior experience in chasing and repoussé as well.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Nancy Mēgan Corwin is a jeweler/metalsmith, teacher, curator and writer in the field of art metals specializing in the ancient techniques of chasing and repoussé. Feature articles on her work have appeared in numerous books and magazines including Metalsmith Magazine, Ornament, and “Art Jewelry Today” by Dona Z. Meilach. Mēgan has artwork in a number of private collections as well as The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, the permanent collection of The State University of New Mexico-Las Cruces, and at the Tacoma Art Museum, Washington.
In 2009 Brynmorgen Press published Mēgan’s book on the techniques of chasing and repoussé, titled “Chasing and Repoussé: Methods Ancient and Modern,” which is in it’s fourth printing and is published in the US, England and China. She teaches master classes and lectures around the United States, Canada, England and Australia. Mēgan is represented by Facèré Jewelry Art Gallery in Seattle, WA.
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING
- 22 gauge copper. Each student should have at least 6 pieces of 3" x 3". Students can use silver if they are somewhat experienced in chasing and repousse and would like to.
- A pitch bowl (and base for the bowl) filled with pitch. Otto Frei has a good kit: https://www.ottofrei.com/Pitch-Bowl-Kit-With-7-1-2-x-2-3-4-Bowl-Pitch-and-Pitch-Pad. Students need to come to class with the bowl correctly filled (the pitch should be higher than the sides of the bowl - something that is not described by any supplier). Once registered I can send them a more thorough description of what they need to do.
- A chasing hammer. Chasing hammers can be purchased from various suppliers. I like Allcraft USA best for reasonably priced hammers. Tevel (the owner) has a decent Pakistani hammer that is very inexpensive. He also has excellent German hammers for around $55. I suggest 30mm size (the size is determined by measuring diagonally across the hammer face).
- Chasing tools if students have them (optional). Otherwise, they can use the ones I bring to class for that purpose. Students should not purchase any chasing or repousse tools ahead of time unless they are experienced or email me about it. I like to bring various tools with me, so that students can try different ones and decide what works for them. Otherwise, they could spend a great deal of money on tools that don’t fit their style of work or their hands.
- Registered students can contact Mēgan with any questions about tools they need to bring to class.
MATERIALS KIT* $10 (payable to instructor)
- Non-toxic PVC for making dies (optional).
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS
12. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
- If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.