Tufa Carving & Casting with Chapin Dimond for September
Saturday, September 10 from 6-9 pm. $95 for BoMA members, $145 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Native tribes in the Southwest have been creating ornamental jewelry for many hundreds of years. The Navajos were the first tribe to cast silver jewelry. Tufa stone is a compressed volcanic ash material that is found on the Navajo reservation. It is easier to carve than sandstone and its porous surface leaves a unique texture once the metal has cooled. Tufa casting is a labor-intensive process involving many steps.
Students should bring
- Ideas for a design ready to carve (no more than 2" x 2"). You’ll have more time to carve if you have an design thought out.
- Bring clean scrap or casting grain if you want to work with a metal other than Ancient Bronze. You can bring fine silver, sterling silver or argentium silver (no copper or pewter)
- Carving tools and an old file. Burs and drill bits to use in the flex shaft. (we'll have some of these for use in the studio)
- Mask for respiratory protection
- Clean up tools like needle files and sanding sticks
- Jewelers saw (optional)
- Saw blades 2/0
Materials kit (students will pay for these)
- Tufa stone at $3/pound
- Ancient bronze metal for casting at $15/pound
Maximum number of students: 20. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.