Hand Fabricated Botanicals with Nicole Ringgold
Saturday & Sunday, May 16 & 17, 2020. 9 am to 5 pm both days. $345 BoMA members, $395 for non-members. Materials kit $93
Students design and create at least one botanical of their choice, either a leaf, flower, seedpod or branch. Demonstrations will include techniques that can be used to make silver come alive, from fusing sterling silver, soldering multiple joints in one piece, reticulation, creating 3-dimensional joints, texturing, basic repoussé and chasing.
For more information and our cancellation policy, see below.
Basic metalsmithing skills: filing, sawing, soldering. Students will choose a specific botanical that he/she would like to create and send a photo of the botanical to Nicole prior to the workshop.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Nicole Ringgold’s art is inspired by plants she encounters while hiking, a rock, shell or piece of beach glass, and anything that catches her eye in her natural surroundings.
Nicole is a silversmith living in the Methow Valley in Washington state, a picturesque area nestled in the North Cascade mountains. She is an outdoor enthusiast, gardener, wife and mother, farmer, and world wanderer. Her studio is situated inside a bright greenhouse constructed of recycled materials.
Many people assume that Nicole’s nature-inspired work is cast, dipped or electroformed. Instead, she painstakingly creates each piece with silver sheet and wire which she saws, solders, files, textures, and forms with hammers. She recreates nature with as much detail as possible to make the metal appear alive.
When not in her studio, you can find Nicole with her family and 2 labradors, tilling soil in her garden, or wandering around the mountains seeking inspiration for her next creation.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT STUDENT NEED TO BRING
- Unmounted Mini Fiber Wheel, Extra-Fine $4.85 - https://www.riogrande.com/product/Unmounted-Mini-Fiber-Wheel-Extra-Fine/338130
- Unmounted Mini Fiber Wheel, Coarse $4.85 - https://www.riogrande.com/product/Unmounted-Mini-Fiber-Wheel-Coarse/338133
- Cross-Cut Burs, Set of 12 $14.50 - https://www.riogrande.com/product/lynx-square-cross-cut-burs-set-of-12/348715
- EVE Silicone Black Flat-Edge Wheel Polisher, Medium $4.55 - https://www.riogrande.com/product/advantedge-silicone-polisher-black-medium/33262110
- High-Speed Steel Cross-Cut Cylinder Bur, 8mm $5.95 - https://www.riogrande.com/product/Rio-High-Speed-Steel-Cross-Cut-Cylinder-Bur-8mm/345868
- Sawblades 2/0 or 3/0
- Wire solder (easy, medium, hard)
MATERIALS KIT $93
- 3x3" sheet of 22 gauge sterling silver $30
- 1 3x3" sheet of 24 gauge sterling silver $25
- 1 5 ft 16 gauge sterling silver wire $15
- 1 5 ft wire of 18 gauge sterling silver $13
- 1 5 ft wire of 20 gauge sterling silver $10
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 12. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 45 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 45 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student that’s late.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.