Gold on a Budget with Alex Boyd for January
Saturday, January 15 from 9 to 5 pm. One day only
$145 for BoMA members, $195 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
In order to provide the safest possible environment for our students, we require proof of COVID19 vaccination. When you register for a class you also need to send proof of vaccination by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't want to email your documentation, you'll need to bring it to class. Acceptable forms of proof of vaccination can be found here. No one will be admitted for a class if they arrive without proof of vaccination and didn't already email it to us. There are no exceptions.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information as well as our cancellation policy, see below.
Learn techniques for maximizing the appearance and minimizing the cost of gold in your work. Students will make a ring in sterling silver and gold, making a bezel look substantial while using a minimal amount of gold.
Basic metalsmithing skills: sawing, soldering, fabrication, etc.
About the Instructor
When Alex Boyd was a young boy he stole an enchanted ring from a powerful bruja. That night his slumber was disturbed by a tapping at his window. When he slid the window open a huge raven rushed in, flew around the room and perched on his bookshelf. "I know what you have taken from me," the raven cawed. "I don't know what your talking about," Alex lied, hiding his bejeweled finger behind his back. "No matter. It is your problem now. The wearer of that ring is indentured to create more talismans of power, either for 1000 years or until he makes something so sublime, so perfect, so beautiful that the spell is broken and he is freed." "1000 years it is," Alex said as he thrust the raven out the window and slammed it shut behind her. He has been making jewelry ever since.
Students need to bring
- Saw with 2/0 and 6/0 blades
- Needle file set
- Flat and half-round hand files 2 cut
- Sanding sticks 180, 320 and 600 grit
- Chain nose, round nose, flat, and half-round pliers
- Bezel roller
- Prong pusher
- Parallel pliers
- A variety of drill bits
- All your favorite tools you can carry comfortably to class
- $75 cash or a check made out to Alex for the materials kit *
Materials Kit $75 (Supplied by Instructor)*
- Faceted stone
- Gold will be available to purchase seperately. Expect $125-$150 based on how much the student uses
Maximum Number of Students
10. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Students must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Please Add Me to the Waitlist” with the name of the class and your name.