Tufa Carving & Casting with Chapin Dimond
Saturday, March 21 from 6 to 9 pm. $65 for BoMA members, $115 for non-members. Additional cost for materials.
Learn to carve and cast tufa stone. The texture of the volcanic rock creates jewelry with a very distinct, sandstone-like finish and texture.Chapin Dimond will provide expert direction for carving your design and will assist you with pouring your casting.
For details and cancellation policy see below
Students should bring
- Ideas for a design ready to carve (no more than 2" x 2"). You’ll have more time to carve if you have an design thought out.
- Bring clean scrap or casting grain if you want to work with a metal other than Ancient Bronze. You can bring fine silver, sterling silver or argentium silver (no copper or pewter)
- Carving tools and an old file. Burs and drill bits to use in the flex shaft. (we'll have some of these for use in the studio)
- Mask for respiratory protection
- Clean up tools like needle files and sanding sticks
- Jewelers saw (optional)
- Saw blades 2/0
- Pencil & paper
Materials kit (students will pay for these)
- Tufa stone at $5/set
- Ancient bronze metal for casting at $1/ounce
Maximum number of students: 6. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.