Complex Fabrication & 3D Soldering for Wearable Sculptures with Lauren Markley for July
Saturday and Sunday, July 3 & 4 from 9 am to 5 pm. $345 for BoMA members, $395 for non-members. Difference payable in class. (To become a member and save $50 on every class, click here.) Additional materials fee payable to instructor.
See below for more information and our cancellation policy
Taking an architectural approach to jewelry, we will work through several fabrication techniques, including spliced construction, pin construction, and scoring and folding, improving soldering skills along the way. We will explore three-dimensional forms to create wearable sculpture while honing order-of-operations and problem-solving skills. Students can expect come away with samples and hopefully one or two finished pieces.
Open to all levels, but basic metalsmithing skills (piercing/sawing, basic soldering, etc.) will be helpful.
About the Instructor
Lauren Markley was born and raised in Kansas and resides in Raleigh, NC. Her jewelry, at once both small-scale sculpture as well as ornament for the body, is a personal interpretation of her immediate surroundings. She uses architectural forms and distressed surface treatments, such as scratches, burns, and peeling paint, in her current body of work. She regularly exhibits her work at craft shows and galleries around the country. You can visit her website at Lauren Markely Jewelry.
Students need to bring
- H, M, and E solder
- jeweler’s saw, saw blades (#2/0, #5)
- triangle file, needle files, miter vise (optional)
- pin vise
- drill bits (#59)
- divider calipers
- steel T pins
- hand tools such as flat-nose pliers, chain-nose pliers, parallel pliers
- sand paper(various grits)
- Students are encouraged to bring any tools or material, including metals, favorite hand tools, findings, found objects, etc., they wish to work with, as well.
- Cash or check for made out to Lauren for $45 for Materials Kit
Materials Kit $45 (Supplied by Instructor)*
- Sterling silver square wire
- sterling silver round wire
- sterling silver tubing.
- Copper/brass sheet/tubing/wire for practice.
Maximum Number of Students
Eight. Students must be over 18 years old and will be required to sign a waiver. Students must wear closed-toe shoes.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.