Alternative Settings with Chapin Dimond for July
Saturday, July 31 from 9 am to 5 pm. $145 members, $195 non-members. Difference payable in class. (To become a member and save $50 on every class, click here.) Additional materials fee will be collected in class.
See below for more information and our cancellation policy
Kinds of setting covered in class
- nontraditional wire prong
- bezel with tabs
- wrap tabs
- bead in place with torch
This is a fast paced class. Basic metalsmithing skills (filing, sawing, soldering) are required for this class. Students should know how to use a torch to solder and use a jeweler’s saw. Very helpful to know how to solder with a micro torch.
About the Instructor
Chapin Dimond is a full-time metalsmith and jeweler. He has a BFA from Metropolitan State University of Denver. Chapin is a Colorado native. In 2003 he began metalsmithing. Playfulness and the beauty of metals inspire his work. Chapin teaches several classes: Alternative Casting, Sink a Bowl, Delf- Sand Casting, Intro to Lost Wax Casting, Flush Setting, Scrap to Ring, and Spiculum pendent. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com
Tools and Materials Students Need to Bring
- safety glasses
1/2 round - flat pliers
chain nose/ needle nose pliers (I like these from Rio 111927)
parallel pliers (optional)
wire cutters (I like flush cutters I like Rio 111033)
- saw frame (studio may has some if you don't)
- saw blades 2/0 blade 1pk
medium (I like #2 flat)
fine (I like #4 flat-1/2 round
needle file variety
- sanding sticks variety of grits (I like 320, 400 grit)
- dividers (any will work but I like Rio 116224)
- fine tweezers AA (I like Rio 115018 and 119337 both are nice only need 1)
- solder pick (studio may have some)
- soldering tweezers (I like not locking)
- third hand holder with bent locking tweezers (studio may have some)
- X-Acto blade with handle (I like blades #11)
- bezel roller/rocker (like Rio113079)
- bezel pusher (like Rio 113034)
- steel burnisher
- Split mandrel with 320, 400 grit (like Rio 333130)
- Sharpie fine and fat black
- loop 10x or optivisor
- Drill bits
1.0mm twist (I like Rio 341573)
- (optional) 3M bristle disc (I like yellow or blue)
- (optional) any and all extra tools you can comfortably carry (other tools that you like, ect...)
Materials students should bring
Medium (I like 20ga wire solder Rio 101703)
Easy (optional) Sheet
- Sterling silver 20ga sheet bigger then coin by at least 5mm
- Sterling silver 20ga or 18ga sheet bigger than stone by at least 5mm
- Round Wire
Sterling silver round wire (20ga) 0.8mm X 6 inches
Sterling silver round wire (24ga) 0.5mm X 6 inches, for pins
Coin no bigger than a half dollar coin
- cash or check made out to Chapin Dimond for kit fee $60
- Clothing: closed toed shoes and avoid wearing polyester, it can be flammable.
Materials kit $60 (Tools/equipment and materials/consumables instructor will supply for a fee)
Cash or check are out to Chapin Dimond
- thermo lock
- flex-shaft tools
- stone beads
- other necessary tools and materials
Maximum number of students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.