Wax Carving & Lost Wax Casting
with Chapin Dimond
Date: Saturday and Sunday, January 11 & 12, 2020
Time: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm both days
Cost: $245 BoMA members
$295 for non-members
Non-member difference will be collected in class
Materials fee: $65
Lost wax casting is an ancient technique for making jewelry that is cast in metal from models made of wax. This two day class will cover the basics of lost wax casting; wax carving, sprue, invest, burnout, cast, and clean up and use our brand new vacuum casting equipment.
Day one, students will cut, sculpt, and carve a ring out of jeweler’s wax to create a model. Next, we'll sprue up and invest the wax to make a plaster mold that will be 'burned out' overnight. The second we'll pour molten metal into the hardened investment. When the metal cools, the investment is broken away to reveal the cast metal ring, which we'll clean and finish.
About the Instructor
Chapin Dimond is a full-time metalsmith and jeweler. He has a BFA from Metropolitan State University of Denver. Chapin is a Colorado native. In 2003 he began metalsmithing. His work is inspired by nature and the beauty of metals. Chapin teaches several classes at BoMA: Alternative Casting, Sink a Bowl, Introduction to Green Sandcasting, and Scrap to Bangel. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com.
Students should be comfortable using files, flex shaft, jeweler’s saw, and casting torch
Tools students need to bring
- Idea for ring design
- ½ troy ounce sterling silver casting grain (MINIMUM)
- Files for metal
- Two ended wax file (Rio item # 114136) or one like this
- Jewelry saw and blades
- Sandpaper (various grits)
- Safety glasses
- Exacto style knife
- Optivisor or magnifiers (optional)
- Dust mask recommended
- Wax carving tools (optional)
- Burrs (optional)
- Cash or a check made out to Chapin Dimond for the materials kit
Materials Kit* $65
- Carving wax - tablet and ring blank
- Sprue wax
- Spiral saw blades for cutting wax
- Wax bur
- Spiral saw blades
- Alcohol Lamp
- Steel carving tools
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 14 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing.
- Cancellations occurring less than 14 days prior to the start date will not be refunded,
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Seats are not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
Registration Open Now