Level II Metalsmithing for Jewelry with Chapin Dimond for July
July 7/14/21/28. Thursday evenings from 6 pm to 9 pm
$245 for BoMA members, $295 for non-members. Become a member and save $50 on every class. Additional materials fee and payable to instructor.
For details and our cancellation policy, please see below.
Students will learn bench pin uses, lay out, piercing, how to safely use the guillotine shear, what 'clean up' tools to use and when, how to use the rolling mill, forming metal, fabricating a bezel, stone setting, multiple soldering techniques (pick, place and sweat), solder inlay, making a bail and how to patina.
BoMA level 1 class (or equivalent). Student knows how to measure and mark metal, load a saw frame, light a torch, anneal silver and has basic soldering experience.
About the instructor
Chapin Dimond is a full-time metalsmith and jeweler. He has a BFA from Metropolitan State University of Denver. Chapin is a Colorado native. In 2003 he began metalsmithing. Nature and the beauty of metals inspire his work. Chapin teaches several classes at BoMA: Level 1, Alternative Casting, Intro to Lost Wax Casting, Flush Setting, Alternative Setting, and Spiculum Necklace. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com.
Students should bring
- Saw blades (1 pack 2/0 1 pack 4/0)
- Calculator or phone
- Round nose pliers
- Chain nose pliers
- Flat round pliers
- Large paint stick (from the paint department at any big box store)
- Tools from level 1 class (split mandrel, rubber wheel and mandrel) and any jewelry tools you currently have in your toolbox including saw frame, files, pliers, ruler, calipers, dividers, scribe, Sharpie and paper. If you do not have these tools, BoMA has tools available for you at the studio.
Materials kit* $55
(Tools/equipment and materials/consumables instructor will supply for a fee)Sterling silver- 18ga sheet 0.75 inch x 1.5 inch
- Sterling silver- 20 ga wire (1 inch)
- Sterling silver- 12ga wire (1.5inch for rolling down for bezel) (optional can use 18ga sheet instead)
- Stone- round cab 8mm
- Copper- 14 ga wire (1 inch)
- Easy solder (wire or sheet
- Medium solder (wire or sheet)
- Hard solder (wire or sheet)
- Flex shaft tools
- Drill bits 1mm (2)
- Ball bur 1mm (1)
- Cylinder bur
- Split mandrel
- Rubber wheel with mandrel
- Rubber bullet with mandrel
- Snap on sanding disc and mandrel
- Polishing wheel (hard felt) and mandrel
- Drill bits 1mm (2)
- Sanding sticks
- Sandpaper- 400grit
- Large paint stick
Maximum number of students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe.
- By clicking on the “I’m going” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.