Hinged Bracelet with Alex Boyd
Saturday and Sunday, February 24 & 25. 9am to 5 pm both days.
Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Intermediate to advanced metalsmithing skills are required for this class.
Closed-toed shoes and a tie for long hair are required in the studio.
About the Instructor
When Alex Boyd was a young boy he stole an enchanted ring from a powerful bruja. That night his slumber was disturbed by a tapping at his window. When he slid the window open a huge raven rushed in, flew around the room and perched on his bookshelf. "I know what you have taken from me," the raven cawed. "I don't know what your talking about," Alex lied, hiding his bejeweled finger behind his back. "No matter. It is your problem now. The wearer of that ring is indentured to create more talismans of power, either for 1000 years or until he makes something so sublime, so perfect, so beautiful that the spell is broken and he is freed." "1000 years it is," Alex said as he thrust the raven out the window and slammed it shut behind her. He has been making jewelry ever since.
Students need to bring
(These are the tools I use to make this project. Not all of them are absolutely necessary depending on the finish and style of bracelet you want to make. Also there are a lot tools that can do the same job. That said, if you want to make exactly what I make here’s what I use.)
- Permanent Marker
- Graphite pencil
- Jeweler’s saw
- 2/0 sawblades
- Xacto knife
- Sanding sticks (180, 320 and 600 grits)
- Sanding rolls (120 and 600 grits)
- Square hand file 2 cut
- Round hand file 2 cut
- Square needle file 2 and 4 cut
- Barrette needle file 4 cut
- Flat hand file 4 cut
- 3m radial bristle discs yellow and blue (these are my preferred finishing tools, but you do you)
- Pin vises of varying sizes
- Round bracelet mandrel (optional, studio has some to share)
- Oval bracelet mandrel (optional, studio has some to share)
- (You can also use the horn of an anvil instead of either bracelet mandrel)
- Nylon or rawhide mallet (optional, studio has some to share)
- Bench block or anvil (optional, studio has some to share)
- Charcoal block (optional, studio has some to share)
- Squeeze bottle with needle tip & Prips flux (optional, studio has some to share)
Materials Kit $55 (Supplied by Instructor)*
- 2.5mm x 5.3mm x 22cm sterling silver strip
- 1mm x 5mm x 4cm sterling silver strip
- 2.7mm x 2.5cm sterling silver round wire
- 2.7mm inner diameter x 2.5cm sterling silver tubing
- .8mm x 4cm sterling silver round wire
- .8mm inner diameter x 1cm sterling silver tubing
- Hard and medium silver solder
- 1mm drill bit
- 2mm ball bur
- 2.7mm ball bur
Maximum number of students: 10. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student. Registration cannot be applied to another class.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.