Rethinking Linking! Chains, Links, and Clasps to Customize Your Work with Leslie Maya-Charles in October
Sunday, October 30 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm both days. $145 for BoMA members, $195 for non-members. Become a member and save $50 on every class.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
In this full-day class, I’ll teach you how to make beautiful chains to raise your work to another level. We will explore different hooks, learn to make a C-clasp, and push the creative envelope to make links consistent with your beautiful work. We will be using Argentium silver because we can FUSE it! If you’ve never used Argentium, this is the time!
About The Instructor
Your guide for this class is Leslie Maya-Charles (lesliemayacharles.com), a life-long artist, concentrating on unique metal art pieces for the past 15 years. Though Leslie has had the privilege of working with many wonderful teachers over the decades, each encouraging new ways to approach the challenges of working with metal, she credits her first teacher with her passion for art. “I had the privilege of growing up near my grandmother who was a multi-talented artist. I was free to just play, and was encouraged to try whatever she was doing in her studio. Since like most, I learn by doing, we were a perfect pair. I learned to sew, work with ceramics, do needlework, and in her later years, to make silver jewelry with her. Mostly, I now see myself as one who designs and creates things that have never been done before; in essence, an engineer: How can I put these two pieces of metal together? How would it look if….”
Must be proficient with soldering.
Closed-toed shoes and a tie for long hair are required in the studio.
Students Should Bring
- 4 feet of 14 ga argentium silver
- solder: Hard, Medium and Easy
- flush cutters
- Pliers: Chain nose pliers, Wubbers looping pliers or round mandrel bail forming pliers of any size, round nose pliers, half round pliers, bow opening pliers. Basically any plier you can use to make shapes, or one you have always wanted to own and now is the time and here's the excuse to order it!
Materials Kit* $15 (payable to instructor)
- 18 ga wire
Maximum number of students: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.