Micro Welding in the Jewelry Studio with Patrick McMillan
Two days: Saturday and Sunday, October 14 & 15, 2023. from 9 am to 4 pm. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Prerequisites for students
No prerequisites but understanding of jewelry techniques is helpful
Closed-toed shoes and a tie for long hair are required in the studio.
About the Instructor
Patrick McMillan is a jeweler/metalsmith based in Rhode Island. He completed his Bachelors in Fine Arts at Nova Scotia College of Art and Design University in Halifax, Nova Scotia and his Master of Art at the Birmingham School of Jewellery in Birmingham, England.
In 2011, he launched his own jewelry and metalsmithing business, McMillan Metals, where he created his own production line and custom jewelry pieces for customers in the region.
Alongside his studio practice, he later went on to develop jewelry programming in local high schools before finally opening up his own education space in 2017. Patrick now owns and operates The Bench Jewelry and Metalsmithing Studio in Pawtucket, RI, a creative and educational studio space for jewelers and metalsmiths.
Tools and equipment students should bring
- Silver sheet, wire and jump rings
- Copper wire and sheet
- Scrap materials
- Personal pieces to work on. Students are encouraged to bring in personal projects to experiment with on the welder for the end of the second day
Materials Kit* $50 (payable to instructor)
- Stainless sheet for the intro project
- Stainless wire for fill
- Silver jump rings, approx 100 (assorted for build a chain project)
- Copper sheet for a weld/solder project, 3" x 6"(soldering done on their own time)
- Silver wire for fill on copper project
- Small silver ring for Fill/repair practice
Maximum number of students: 6. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student. Registration cannot be applied to another class.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.