Lost Wax Casting and Carving with Chapin Dimond for April
Saturday and Sunday, April 23 & 24 from 9 am to 5 pm both days.
$245 for BoMA members, $295 for non-members. Become a member to take advantage of discounted pricing for all our classes.
Additional materials fee payable to instructor in class.
For more information about the class and our cancellation policy, see below.
Day one, students will cut, sculpt, and carve a ring out of jeweler’s wax to create a model. Next, we'll sprue up and invest the wax to make a plaster mold that will be 'burned out' overnight. The second we'll pour molten metal into the hardened investment. When the metal cools, the investment is broken away to reveal the cast metal ring, which we'll clean and finish.
About the Instructor
Chapin Dimond is a full-time metalsmith and jeweler. He has a BFA from Metropolitan State University of Denver. Chapin is a Colorado native. In 2003 he began metalsmithing. His work is inspired by nature and the beauty of metals. Chapin teaches several classes at BoMA: Alternative Casting, Sink a Bowl, Introduction to Green Sandcasting, and Scrap to Bangel. To see Chapin’s work, visit his website, www.cdimond.com.
Students should be comfortable using files, flex shaft, jeweler’s saw, and casting torch
Closed-toed shoes and a tie for long hair are required in the studio.
Tools students need to bring
- Idea for ring design
- ½ troy ounce sterling silver casting grain (MINIMUM)
- Files for metal
- Two ended wax file (Rio item # 114136) or one like this
- Jewelry saw and blades
- Sandpaper (various grits)
- Safety glasses
- Exacto style knife
- Optivisor or magnifiers (optional)
- Dust mask recommended
- Wax carving tools (optional)
- Burrs (optional)
- Cash or a check made out to Chapin Dimond for the materials kit
Materials Kit* $65
- Carving wax - tablet and ring blank
- Sprue wax
- Spiral saw blades for cutting wax
- Wax bur
- Spiral saw blades
- Alcohol Lamp
- Steel carving tools
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 8. Students will be required to sign a waiver. Participants must be 18 or older.
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to the start of the class and receive a full refund, less $25 processing. To cancel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations less than 30 days prior to the start date will not be refunded.
- In the event we have to cancel a class, you will be notified prior to the start date and will be issued a full refund.
- Registration is not transferrable. You may not sell your seat to another student.
- If a class has multiple sessions, and you miss one, there is no make up opportunity and the instructor will not catch you up at the next class session. You may not join the next scheduled class, as there’s a maximum number of students for every class and it’s not fair to the other students.
- Please plan extra time to find us if you’re coming to BoMA for the first time. If you are late to a class, the instructor will not catch you up. There’s a structured curriculum for every class and its not fair to other students to skip part of the curriculum to catch up a student who’s late.
- Snow. Colorado has frequent snowstorms in the winter and does a good job maintaining their roads in the snow. Snowy weather is a regular occurrence in our area and most people are accustomed to traveling under such conditions. Classes will be cancelled only in the case of inclement weather conditions that would make class attendance unsafe. If the National Weather Services issues a Winter Storm Warning for the time period of the class, we will cancel the class. https://www.weather.gov/bou/winterguide
- By clicking on the “Buy Now” button and by paying the registration fee, you are agreeing to this cancellation policy.
- No Exceptions.
If the class is full, send an email to email@example.com with the name of the class, your name and ‘please add me to the waitlist’.